Thursday, February 3, 2011

To thine own self be true

Guest article written by Natalie Bradley- I think this applies to all small business owners.  Do what you love!!




When I’m not connected to what my heart pulls me to do, I literally feel like I’m suffocating. I’m not one of those people who’s great at faking it ‘til you make it. When you talk to me or see me, you pretty much know I’m feelin’ it (and I’m happy) or I’m not. There’s not really a gray area here. And what’s very interesting to me right now is that I see a lot of people out there feeling the exact same way.

It’s so important for entrepreneurs like us to check-in and do what we love. If you aren’t enjoying what you’re doing right now, it’s usually time to move on. Part of the reason I stopped planning weddings as my primary business is that my heart was no longer in it and I could not bear to put a smiley face on a restless, unhappy part of me.

So, if your business or parts of your life just aren’t working for you any more, make a drastic change. The last few months, I’ve felt many times like I’m suffocating again, and couldn’t figure out what the problem was. On the surface, everything was perfect in business and at home. But beneath the surface it was like a violent storm, and I knew it was a matter of time before it came to the surface.

When this happens, I suggest journaling a lot, being quiet, meditating, going for walks, and embracing your creative side. It helps you reconnect with what’s really going on. A lot of times when you can’t even figure out what it is that you actually want it’s because we’re lying to ourselves so much that we don’t even know what our truth is any more. So you must break through whatever those barriers are that are holding you back.

Be weird. Take a risk. I’ve never been what you’d call “normal”. Honestly, what does that even mean? Maybe none of us are “normal,” but so many of us have bought into the “American dream” or whatever the dream is where you live right now that we think it’s what we want, and then wonder why we don’t appreciate anything we have right now. But if you feel like you’re suffocating and feel handcuffed to a life that you don’t even want, change it.

And when you change this, the interesting part is that you’re ALWAYS “rewarded” for being authentic to yourself. Once Edward and I realized (and every time in the past when we evaluated) what was off, we knew the decision would be hard to make. Not because it’s not what we wanted or that it would require a lot of work on our part, but simply because the people around us wouldn’t get it because it’s not what they want for us. But it’s worth it even it it’s hard because you must understand that true success ONLY comes when you are truthful with yourself and what you really desire.

 So I actually challenge you to go for what you want even if it seems like the dumbest thing you’ve ever heard. What we desire doesn’t always make sense. But that’s okay. Follow your heart - and like Shakespeare says - “This above all, to thine own self be true.”

No comments:

Post a Comment